Brief Program Overview
The Program for Infant/Toddler Care (PITC) Trainer Institutes provide training for educators,
program managers, and other professionals responsible for supervising and training
infant/toddler care teachers. Upon completion of the Institute and all certification requirements
(.doc), participants receive a certificate of completion from WestEd and the
California Department of Education that recognizes them as trainers for the specific module(s)
in which they received training
Who Will Benefit?
- Higher education faculty
- Program administrators
- Individual consultants
- Early Head Start staff
The tuition fee for the PITC Trainer Institute (four modules) is $6,700. This fee covers:
- PITC caregiving guides, trainer’s manuals, and supplementary reading materials
- The four-day in-person Launch Event
- Participation in the 22-week online component leading to certification
- The two-day Wrap-up Event
- Double-occupancy* hotel accommodations for both in-person events
- Most meals (refer to the agenda provided upon enrollment).
*Single–occupancy rooms are available for an additional fee.
Fellowships for California Residents
A very limited number of fellowships are available to applicants living in California and will be determined by PITC. PITC will work jointly with Quality Counts California hub leads and county representatives to determine funding opportunities. PITC will notify applicants regarding fellowships and hub or county funding. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Applications may be submitted at any time throughout the year. First consideration will be given to applications received by the due date. Applications received after the due date will be considered if a last-minute cancellation occurs.
Groups of Applicants
If you are coordinating submission of applications for a group of more than five people, please call Karla de Guzman at 415.289.2305 to discuss space availability and the application process for your group. Each person in the group must complete an individual application by the application due date to be considered. Please submit all individual applications for your group at the same time.
The application consists of five sections:
- Education and Employment
- Training Conducted
- Statement of Interest to Participate
- All sections must be completed.
- Once all sections are completed, make sure to select the Submit button.
- Be sure to check your email for confirmation that your application was submitted.
Application Review Procedure
WestEd’s Center for Child & Family Studies will review and consider each completed application based on the review criteria listed below and space availability.
WestEd’s Center for Child & Family Studies does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, or sexual orientation.
- Applicant’s Title and Position: Description of the applicant’s current position and role in training activities in the field of child development, specifically infant and toddler development and care. Priority is given to those currently providing professional development to programs serving infants and toddlers, as well as to applicants nominated by their local quality rating and improvement system (QRIS) administrator.
- Education/Professional Certification: The applicant’s educational background, including credit hours in early childhood education and child development, CDA, and other ECE or child development–related certificates and degrees.
- Past Professional Experience: The quality and relevance of the applicant’s professional experiences in child development, with a focus on infant and toddler training activities the applicant has planned and conducted.
- Interest and Intent to Provide Training: Why the applicant wishes to participate; what the applicant hopes to learn from the training; how the applicant plans to utilize the training experience in the future; and what types of training experiences the applicant plans to conduct. Emphasis will be placed on the applicant’s capacity to conduct future trainings.
- Consideration of geographic diversity is part of the review process for California applicants.
Application Status Notifications
- Application Confirmation: Once you submit your application, WestEd will send you confirmation. If your application is received by October 11, 2019, you will be notified of your status within two weeks of submission.
- Invitation to Enroll: Applicants accepted for the Trainer Institute will receive an email notification to complete the enrollment process and submit payment by November 8, 2019.
- Waitlist: Qualified applicants who are waitlisted will be invited to update their application for participation in a future Trainer Institute.
- Fellowship Announcements: Fellowships funded by the California Department of Education for California residents do not require a separate application. Fellowships will be announced in November 2019.
- More than 30-days notice: An administrative fee of $100 will be charged for WestEd to find and enroll a replacement participant.
- Less than 30-days notice: The full fee of $6,700 will be charged.
- In addition, cancellations made less than 72 hours prior to the Institute start date will be charged the single room hotel rate.
- For questions regarding the content of the Institute and who should attend, please email Elizabeth Crocker at email@example.com.
- For questions about the application procedure, the status of your application, or a missing written correspondence, please email Karla de Guzman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For additional questions, please contact:
WestEd, Center for Child & Family Studies
180 Harbor Drive, Suite 112
Sausalito, CA 94965