Brief Program Overview
The Academy for Family Child Care (FCC) is a six-session virtual training event for California FCC Providers whose enrollment includes infants and/or toddlers. The Academy is designed to provide Program for Infant/Toddler Care (PITC) training highlighting the unique assets and challenges of FCC through specialized training to support infant/toddler care.
The six sessions include:
- Tuesday, March 29 from 6:30–8:30 p.m.
- Thursday, March 31 from 6:30–8:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 5 from 6:30–8:30 p.m.
- Thursday, April 7 from 6:30–8:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 12 from 6:30–8:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 19 from 6:30–9:30 p.m.
Participants will explore topics and resources to address the needs of the Whole Child, equity, understanding children’s behavior, cultural sensitivity, and the providers themselves:
- Orientation to the PITC Six Essential Policies and the Connection to Family Child Care
- Environments to Support Learning and Care
- Mixed Age Groupings and Planning Responsive Learning Activities
- The Acknowledge, Ask, and Adapt Process to Support Communication with Families
- Inclusion, Working with Children and Their Families When Specialized Supports May Be Needed
- Vicarious Trauma and Self Care, Supporting Families, Children, and Ourselves During Difficult Situations
The Academy for FCC is presented by the Child Care & Development Division of the California Department of Social Services (CCDD/CDSS) and WestEd's PITC.
Who Will Benefit?
This event is designed for California FCC Providers including:
- Family, Friend, and Neighbor Care (FFN)
- Small Family Child Care
- Large Family Child Care
The Academy for FCC is offered at no cost and the application process is designed for providers to share about their FCC homes and personal goals for participating in the Academy. While we hope to serve everyone who applies, enrollment is limited and selection will be based on goals for participation, as well as family child care type, geographic, and linguistic diversity.
Please follow these three steps to apply for the Academy for Family Child Care.
- Review the Application Information section listed below to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for the Academy for Family Child Care. Please find time when you can complete the full application, as the format will not allow you to save, step away, and return later to complete the process.
- Click the “APPLY ONLINE HERE” link below to submit an online application.
- Fill out the application completely and click "Submit".
Thank you for your interest in the Academy for Family Child Care.
The interest has exceeded capacity and the event is currently full.
Any applications submitted after 1:00 p.m. on Monday, January 24 will be added to the waitlist. Qualified applicants who are waitlisted will be invited to enroll if a cancellation occurs and space allows.
Click on the following topics to find out more information.
- Fellowships for California Residents
- Application Deadline
- Application Content
- Application Completion
- Application Review Procedure
- Application Questions/Statement Instructions
- Review Criteria
- Application Status Notifications
- Cancellation Policy
Click here to explore alternative PITC training opportunities.