The California Department of Social Services, Child Care and Development Division (CDSS-CCDD) funds fellowship opportunities for California residents.
The cost of attendance for the 50 California residents who receive fellowships is $175. For non-fellows, the full fee is $1,600.
This fee covers:
- Selected Infant/Toddler Learning and Development resource materials and supplementary reading materials
- Meals and lodging (double occupancy)
The Academy for Program Directors will be held from March 13–15, 2023 (arriving on March 12) at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Berkeley Marina, with full-day sessions on March 13 and 14 and a half-day on March 15. The event will end at noon on March 15.
Fellowships for California Residents
There are 50 fellowship spaces determined for California residents based on the review of an application submitted by the due date and consideration of geographic, linguistic, and program diversity. PITC will notify applicants regarding fellowships by January 25, 2023.
Applications for the Academy for Program Directors will close at the end of the business day on Friday, January 20.
The application consists of four sections:
- Contact Information
- Organization Information
- Education and Employment
- Statement of Interest to Participate
- All sections must be completed. The “Review Criteria” section below provides guidance.
- Once all sections are completed, make sure to select the Submit button.
- Be sure to check your email for confirmation that your application was submitted.
Application Review Procedure
- PITC will review and consider each completed application based on the review criteria listed below and space availability.
- PITC does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.
Application Questions/Statement Instructions
Before you start your application, please draft the answers to the following essay questions/statements:
Description of your program. The description should include information on:
- Program type (e.g., campus-based, EHS, family child care, etc.)
- Program structure (e.g., number of children served, number of employees, age groups, group size and ratios per age group, etc.)
- Funding sources (i.e., state-funded, privately owned, etc.)
Statement of interest to participate. Address the following items briefly, but completely:
- Why are you are interested in participating in this training project?
- How do you plan to utilize the knowledge gained from this experience on an individual and professional basis? How will the training be disseminated to your childcare community and/or to others?
- Please describe your professional experiences listed in the Education & Employment section.
- Applicant’s title and position: Priority is given to those currently in infant/toddler program leadership roles such as directors and assistant directors, managers, supervisors, coordinators, curriculum specialists, center-based directors, and operators of large family child care programs (licensed for 12–14 children).
- Consideration of geographic diversity is part of the review process for California applicants.
Application Status Notifications
- Application Confirmation: Once you submit your application, you will receive an email confirming your submission.
- Invitation to Enroll: Applicants accepted to the Academy of Program Directors will receive an email notification to complete the enrollment process and submit payment by February 6, 2023.
- Waitlist: Qualified applicants who are waitlisted will be invited to enroll if a cancellation occurs and space allows.
- Fellowship Announcements: Fellowships funded by CDSS-CCDD for California residents do not require a separate application. PITC will notify applicants regarding fellowships by January 25, 2023.
- Once enrolled, the full fee of $1600, otherwise $175 for fellowship participants, will be charged for cancellations less than 30 days prior to the start of the event.
- PITC will make every effort to enroll a replacement participant when a cancellation occurs more than 30 days in advance. However, an administrative fee of $100 will be charged.
- All cancellations must be submitted in writing to both Karla Nygaard and Karen Charest at PITCEvents@wested.org.
- For questions about the application procedure, the status of your application, or a missing written correspondence, please email both Karla Nygaard and Karen Charest at PITCEvents@wested.org.
- For questions regarding the content of the event and who should attend, please email Elizabeth Crocker at firstname.lastname@example.org.